Monday, June 10, 2013

Review: Queen of Sorcery


Queen of Sorcery
Queen of Sorcery by David Eddings

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



As with most 2nd books there was no grand finale that left me in awe, so I won’t judge the book in terms of grand endings. Overall it's still an easy read with a simple yet enjoyable mix of mystery and prophecy with heroic character development.

I'm certainly enjoying this as a gap-filler while waiting on Mr Brandon Sanderson and Mr Patrick Rothfuss, but I don't necessarily equate and judge this book with modern fantasy. The genre is so saturated now, that it's very unfair to compare some of the early fantasy writing with the modern material. Everything has been done, all ideas have been explored and world building has become complex and rich. Readers are not satisfied with unexplained magic and mystery, but are constantly looking for rich mechanics and detailed, in-depth exploration of the why and the how.

While reading this I have to constantly remind myself to just sit back, relax and enjoy an easy read in the genre that I so love.

Mr Eddings is a good story teller, and sometimes that is all I need. An easy 3 stars.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment